Share |

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Shiv Sangram activists attack Loksatta editor

I stand by my editorial: Loksatta editor

Thu, Jun 5 08:47 PM

Unfazed by the attack on his house by Shiv Sangram activists, Loksatta newspaper editor Kumar Ketkar on Thursday said he stood by the opinion in his editorial about the statue of the Maratha warrior Chhatrapati Shivaji.

Speaking to the media after the attack, Ketkar said "The people who attacked me must not have read the editorial. I never said anything denigrating to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and I stand by my opinion on the proposed statue."

Entire Maharashtra respects Shivaji Maharaj and the column is not defamatory in nature, he said.

"I have merely questioned the importance being given to the statue of Shivaji while the state has other problems to tackle," Ketkar said.

Ketkar also said he knew Shiv Sangram President Vinayak Mete and has nothing against him personally. Mete, a former NCP MLC, has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Seven persons were arrested in connection with the incident and have been booked under non-bailable offences, police said.

The irate activists numbering about 70 persons pelted stones damaging windowpanes after making an unsuccessful attempt to ransack the house in the morning.

No comments: